Location, Condition, List Price, Marketing
These are the four factors when you sell your house. 3 out of 4 of these are not controlled by the agent.
Let take a quick look at them:
- Location: This isn’t going to change. It’s a fixed factor.
- Condition: Good condition will fetch a higher price and quicker sale than something that needs work or updating. Homeowner controls this factor.
- Listing Price: All agents should come in pretty close together on the market price of a home. They all use the same comps. Beware of an agent that throws out a high figure. See “High Price Hal” below. The homeowner controls this factor.
- Marketing: This is the only factor that an agent truly controls. You’ll want the most effective marketing for your home possible.
3 Dangerous Types of Listing Agents
1. Print Patty: Patty is stuck in the 80’s. When she started in the business, she sent post cards, put ad’s in the newspaper and maybe homes & land magazine. She held open houses (to get buyers). Patty’s marketing hasn’t changed in 20 or 30 years.
Questions to ask any agent you consider:
Tell me about your……
3. Website statics
4. Website advertising
5. Photography: Who’s taking the pictures/ examples/ equipment (not an iPhone)
5. Showing followup and feedback systems for sellers.